John Preskill's Publications
1. Cosmological Production of Superheavy Magnetic Monopoles, Phys. Rev. Lett. 43, 1365-1368 (1979).
2. CP Nonconservation Without Elementary Scalar Fields
3. Subgroup Alignment in Hypercolor Theories, Nucl. Phys. B177, 21-59 (1981).
4. Decoupling" Constraints on Massless Composite Particles (with S. Weinberg), Phys. Rev. D 24, 1059-1062 (1981).
Composites with Massive Constituents (with
6. Composite Quarks and
Leptons, in Particles and Fields -- 1981: Testing the Standard Model, ed. C. Heusch and W. Kirk,
Nucleon Decay in Neutron Stars (with
8. Cosmology of the Invisible Axion (with M. Wise and F. Wilczek), Phys. Lett. 120B, 127-132 (1983).
in the Very Early Universe, in the The Very
Early Universe, ed. S. Hawking, G. Gibbons, and S. Siklos,
10. Fractional Charge and Magnetic Monopoles, in Magnetic Monopoles, ed. R. Carrigan and P. Trower, New York (Plenum Press, 1983), p. 111-126.
11. Anomalies and Fermion Masses in D Dimensions (with P. Frampton and H. van Dam), Phys. Lett. 124B, 209-211 (1983).
12. Dyon-Axion Dynamics (with
in 1983, in Monopole '83, ed. J. Stone,
14. Magnetic Monopoles, Ann. Rev. Nucl. Part. Sci. 34, 461-530 (1984).
15. Magnetic Monopoles in Particle Physics and Cosmology, in Inner Space/Outer Space, ed. E. Kolb, D. Schramm, and M. Turner, Chicago (University of Chicago Press, 1985), p. 373-389.
16. Composite Fermions Without U(1)'s (with H. Georgi), Phys. Lett. 156B, 369-372 (1985).
17. A Supersymmetric Regulator (with B. Grinstein), CALT-68-1234 (1985), unpublished.
18. Topological Interpretation of Reducible Gauge Anomalies (with J. Feng), CALT-68-1278 (1985), unpublished.
19. Neutrino Masses and Family Symmetry (with B. Grinstein and M. Wise), Phys. Lett. 159B, 57-61 (1985).
20. The Significance of Voids (with S. Otto, D. Politzer, and M. Wise), Ap. J. 304, 62-74 (1986).
Gauge Theories in the 1/N Expansion (with
Gauge Theories on the Lattice (with
24. Vortices and Monopoles, in Architecture of the Fundamental Interactions at Short Distances ed. P. Ramond and R. Stora, Amsterdam (North-Holland, 1987), p. 235-338.
25. Gauge Theories in the Many-Gluon Limit (with Sandip Trivedi), Nucl. Phys. B1A (Proc. Suppl.), 83-93 (1987).
26. Wormholes in Spacetime and the Constants of Nature, Nucl. Phys. B323, 141-186 (1989).
in Spacetime and theta QCD (with
28. Magnetic Wormholes and Topological Symmetry (with A. K. Gupta, J. Hughes, and M. B. Wise), Nucl. Phys. B333, 195-220 (1990).
29. Cosmic Strings, in Encyclopedia of Physics, second edition, ed. R. G. Lerner and G. L. Trigg, New York (VCH, 1991), p. 200-202.
30. Local Discrete Symmetry and Quantum-Mechanical Hair (with L. Krauss), Nucl. Phys. B B341, 50-100 (1990).
31. Spin Structures and Pin Structures (with B. Grinstein and R. Rohm), CALT-68-1428 (1989), unpublished
32. Gauge Anomalies in an Effective Field Theory, Ann. Phys. 210, 323-379 (1991).
33. Quantum Hair, Phys. Scripta T36 258-264 (1991).
34. Cosmology and Broken Discrete Symmetry (with S.P. Trivedi, F. Wilczek and M. Wise), Nucl. Phys. B363, 207-220 (1991).
35. Dynamical Effect of Quantum Hair (with S. Coleman and F. Wilczek), Mod. Phys. Lett. A6, 1631-1642 (1991).
on the Statistical Description of Black Holes (with P. Schwarz, A. Shapere,
37. Growing Hair on Black Holes (with S. Coleman and F. Wilczek), Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 1975-1978 (1991).
38. Internal Frame Dragging and a Global Analog of the Aharonov-Bohm Effect (with J. March-Russell and F. Wilczek), Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 2567-2571 (1992), hep-th/9112054 .
41. Quantum Field Theory of Nonabelian Strings and Vortices (with M. G. Alford, Kai-Ming Lee and J. March-Russell), Nucl. Phys. B384, 251-317 (1992), hep-th/9112038 .
44. Quantum Hair and Quantum Gravity (with S. Coleman, L.M. Krauss and F. Wilczek), Gen. Rel. Grav. 24, 9-16 (1992).
46. Do Black Holes Destroy Information? in Black holes, Membranes, Wormholes and Superstrings, ed. S. Kalara and D. V. Nanopoulos, Singapore (World Scientific, 1993) p. 22-39, hep-th/9209058 .
Hole, in McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology, ed. S. P.
50. Black Hole Thermodynamics and Information Loss in Two-Dimensions (with T.M. Fiola, A. Strominger and S.P. Trivedi), Phys. Rev. D 50, 3987-4014 (1994), hep-th/9403137 .
51. Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy (book review), Engineering and Science LVII, No. 4, 39-41 (1996).
52. Charge, in Macmillan
Encyclopedia of Physics, ed. J. S. Rigden,
53. The Nature of Space and Time (book review), Phys. Today 49, No. 7, 60-61 (1996).
54. Cosmic Strings and Other Topological Defects (book review), Science 272, 966-967 (1996).
(with K. S. Thorne), in The Feynman Lectures on Gravitation, ed. B. Hatfield,
59. Fault Tolerant Quantum Computation, in Introduction to Quantum Computation, ed. H.K. Lo, S. Popescu and T.P. Spiller (World Scientific, 1998), quant-ph/9712048 .
60. Robust Solutions to Hard Problems , Nature 391, 631-632 (1998).
61. Making Weirdness Work: Quantum Information and Computation , in Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE Aerospace Conference, ed. R. A. Profet (IEEE, 1998).
62. Topological Quantum Computation (with R. W. Ogburn), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1509: 341-356 (1999).
63. Unstable Door to the Future of Computing (book review) Nature 398, 118-119 (1999).
64. Battling Decoherence: The Fault-tolerant Quantum Computer, Phys. Today 52, No. 6, 24-30 (1999)
65. Plug-in Quantum Software , Nature 402, 357-358 (1999).
67. Quantum Information and Physics: Some Future Directions, J. Mod. Opt. 47, 127-137 (2000), quant-ph/9904022 .
68. Simple Proof of Security of the BB84 Quantum Key Distribution Protocol (with P. W. Shor), Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 441-444 (2000), quant-ph/0003004 .
70. Secure Quantum Key Distribution Using Squeezed States (with D. Gottesman), Phys. Rev. A 63, 022309 (2001), quant-ph/0008046 .
71. Quantum Clock Synchronization and Quantum Error Correction, quant-ph/0010098 .
77. Confinement-Higgs transition in a disordered gauge theory and the accuracy threshold for quantum memory (with C. Wang and J. Harrington), Ann. Phys. 303, 31-58 (2003), quant-ph/0207088 .
78. Secure quantum key distribution with an uncharacterized source (with M. Koashi), Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 057902 (2003), quant-ph/0208155 .
79. Security of quantum key distribution with imperfect devices (with D. Gottesman, H.-K. Lo, and N. Lütkenhaus), Quant. Inf. Comp. 4, 325-360 (2004), quant-ph/0212066.
82. Phase randomization improves the security of quantum key distribution (with H.-K. Lo), quant-ph/0504209.
83. Quantum accuracy threshold for concatenated distance-3 codes (with P. Aliferis and D. Gottesman), Quant. Inf. Comp. 6, 097-165 (2006), quant-ph/0504218.
85. Fault-tolerant quantum computation with long-range correlated noise (with D. Aharonov and A. Kitaev), Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 050504 (2006), quant-ph/0510231.
121. Simulating quantum field theory with a quantum computer, The 36th Annual International Symposium on Lattice Field Theory -- LATTICE2018, arXiv:1811.10085 (2018).
122. Continuous symmetries and approximate quantum error correction (with Philippe Faist, Sepehr Nezami, Victor V. Albert, Grant Salton, Fernando Pastawski, and Patrick Hayden), arXiv:1902.07714 (2019).
123. Foreword, in Quantum Information Meets Quantum Matter, by Bei Zeng, Xie Chen, Duan-Lu Zhou, and Xiao-Gang Wen (Springer, 2019), p. v– vii.
124. Why I called it “quantum supremacy”, Quanta Magazine, 2 October 2019.
125. Distributed quantum sensing enhanced by continuous-variable error correction (with Quntao Zhuang and Liang Jiang), arXiv:1910.14156 (2019).
126. Robust encoding of a qubit in a molecule (with Victor Albert and Jacob Covey), arXiv:1911.00099 (2019).
127. Models of quantum complexity growth (with Fernando Brandao, Wissam Chemissany, Nicholas Hunter-Jones, and Richard Kueng), arXiv:1912.04297 (2019).
128. Coherence in logical quantum channels (with Joseph Iverson), arXiv:1912:04319 (2019).